20 Mule Team Borax (76 oz box)
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (55 oz box) (purchase this while you can...I can't find it in CA anymore)
5 bars Fels-Naptha soap (5 1/2 oz each)
1-cup measuring cup
14" wooden spoon
12 1/2" steel hand grater
4-gallon bucket with lid
~ Basic Recipe ~
1/3 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
* Amount of ingredients may be adjusted depending on your own preference. For
example, some people prefer to use 1/2 bar of Fels-Naptha instead of 1/3 bar, etc.
1. On your stove top, place grated soap in a large pan with 6 cups of water and heat until the soap melts.
2. Add washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. Pour 4 cups hot water into the 4-gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and stir well, then add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir again until mixed well.
4. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours; it will congeal into a gel.
5. Stir the soap before each use. Use ½ cup per load (a little more or a little less depending upon how soiled your laundry is).
Makes 1 batch = approx. 2 gallons (64 loads). Recipe may be doubled.
Please note: This is a low-sudsing soap, so you will not see bubbles or suds in the water. The suds aren't what do the cleaning – it's the ingredients!
Scented Soap: You may scent your laundry soap if desired; use 1/2-1 oz essential oil or fragrance oil.
DO NOT use soap scents as they will ruin your batch.